Here at Once Upon a Farm, we’re on a mission to improve childhood nutrition! Did you know that most baby food on the market is completely void of good fats? Shocking, we know. But there’s no need to worry because all of our Stage 2 (7+ month) and older organic baby food blends contain those fats. And we’re talking the good kind of fat – think avocado, chia seed and coconut milk to name a few. Yum! With unique blends, organic ingredients and good fats, we’re here to help ensure your little is set up for a lifetime of healthy eating!
Now, why do we incorporate good fats into our recipes? Good fats are essential for growth and act as “nutrient booster.” They aid brain and nerve tissue development, are important for healthy bones and organs and can even help maintain a healthy immune system! Good fats account for the bulk of the growth of myelin (a fatty coating on nerve cells that helps baby think quickly) and help fuel the memory and leaning centers of the brain. (1)
We use avocado, hempseed, chia seed, coconut oil, coconut milk and flax seeds as good fats in our blends. Each of these ingredients help the body absorb vitamins A, D, E and K when combined with fresh fruits and veggies (our specialty!). Our little ones can more effectively absorb fat-soluble vitamins with good fats in their diet. (2)
Our recipes are created with the help of expert advisors, including Jill Castle, MS, RD, LDN, childhood nutrition expert. Each blend is carefully planned for optimal nutrition and cold-pressed to lock in the nutrients, taste and texture of farm fresh ingredients. Here are some of the ingredient benefits:
- Coconut Milk is made from the liquid found in mature coconuts. It’s mixed with grated coconut meat and then strained. Coconut milk has lauric acid (the same fatty acid as breastmilk), is rich in fats for brain development and helps with fat soluble vitamin absorption. (3) Organic coconut milk makes our Sun-Shiny Strawberry Patch creamy and adds a smooth texture to our Just Right Oats and Gold-y Mango & the 3 Coconuts Stage 3 organic baby food blends.
- Coconut Oil contains lauric acid as well (which is also in breast milk). This helps baby’s immune system and has promotes vitamin absorption. Coconut oil also has MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides), which are easily metabolized and digested. (4) Mama Bear Blueberry combines organic coconut oil into a blend of fresh organic apples, blueberries and sweet potatoes.
- Chia Seeds are a modern day super food that have been used for centuries. Chia seeds help provide sustainable energy (chia is the ancient Mayan word for strength). They’re rich in fiber for easy digestion and are also hydrating. (5) Our Sun-Shiny Strawberry Patch blend has organic chewy chia seeds!
- Avocado is a creamy fruit with monosaturated fats for brain development and vitamin E for soft skin. We include organic avocado in our Wild Rumpus Avocado blend.
- Hemp Seeds contain all essential amino acids such as leucine and fatty acids for growing bodies and with soluble and insoluble fiber, they aid digestion. (6) A balanced diet is part of holistic nutrition that can help your baby feel his or her best! Our Green Kale & Apples blend incorporates these tiny soft seeds.
- Flax Seeds are a nutrition powerhouse! These tiny seeds have omega-3s to support brain health. (7) We include organic flax seeds in our OhMyMega Veggie blend!
Your baby is growing every day and using the fuel you provide to become bigger, stronger and smarter so remember to incorporate good fats where you can! And when you need a convenient option, we’re here for you making baby food blends as fresh as it gets (without making it yourself)!
- Miller, Anna Medaris. “Feeding Your Baby’s Brain.” US News & World Report, 5 Jan. 2016, health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2016-01-05/feeding-your-babys-brain. Accessed 7 Sept. 2017.
- White, Adrian. “Fat-Soluble Vitamins.” Healthline, Healthline Media, 22 June 2017, www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/fat-soluble-vitamins#overview1. Accessed 7 Sept. 2017.
- “Coconut Milk Health Benefits and Uses.” Healthline, Healthline Media, 30 July 2016, www.healthline.com/nutrition/coconut-milk#section3. Accessed 7 Sept. 2017.
- Gunnars, Kris. “10 Impressive Health Benefits of Coconut Oil.” Healthline, 4 June 2017, www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil#section9. Accessed 7 Sept. 2017.
- Gunnars, Kris. “11 Proven Health Benefits of Chia Seeds.” Healthline, Healthline Media, 30 May 2017, www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds. Accessed 7 Sept. 2017.
- Derek, et al. “13 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds.” Well-Being Secrets, 22 June 2017, www.well-beingsecrets.com/hemp-seeds-benefits/. Accessed 7 Sept. 2017.
- Goyal, Ankit, et al. “Flax and flaxseed oil: an ancient medicine & modern functional food.” Journal of Food Science and Technology, Springer India, Sept. 2014, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4152533/. Accessed 7 Sept. 2017.