Storytellers Featuring Alicia Graf Mack
Meet Alicia Graf Mack
Alicia Graf Mack is the Dean and Director of Dance at The Juilliard School – the youngest person and the first woman of color to hold the position – and we’re so excited to have her as a guest on Storytellers!
Watch as Alicia shares her journey with our CoFounder Jennifer Garner, on becoming a professional ballerina and the pivotal moment where she felt inspired to pursue her dance dreams. Prior to becoming the Dean and Director of Dance at The Juilliard School, Alicia was a principal dancer at several distinguished dance companies including Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Dance Theatre of Harlem, and Complexions Contemporary Ballet. Alicia also became an adjunct faculty member at the University of Houston and a visiting assistant professor at Webster University. She is also a co-founder of D(n)A Arts Collective, an initiative created to enrich the lives of young dancers through master classes and intensives.
Alicia and our Storytellers partner, The Conscious Kid, have rounded up a list of Black-owned dance companies on Instagram that inspire movement at home for kids of all ages – check them out and let us know your favorites!
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (New York, New York)
- Collage Dance Collective (Memphis, Tennessee)
- Dallas Black Dance Academy (Dallas, TX)
- Dance Institute of Washington (Washington, DC)
- Dance Theatre of Harlem (New York City, New York)
- Debbie Allen Dance Studio (Los Angeles, CA)
- Deeply Rooted Dance Theater (Chicago, IL)
- Harlem School for the Arts (NYC)
- International Association for Blacks in Dance (IABD)
- Jones-Haywood Dance School (Washington D.C.)
- Philadanco: The Philadelphia Dance Company (Philadelphia)
- Move(NYC) in (NYC)